Nameless

Nameless
Who are these silent strangers waiting for me to know who they are?

Monday, March 21, 2011

habits of cows

Early this morning, just before 5 a.m., I was awakened by thunder. I got up and went out on the back porch to take a look. Within 10 minutes there was hail, and a pounding, drench-you-to-the-bone, rain with resounding thunder. This rain was straight down, and splashy, the kind of rain a friend once described as "a cow pissing on a flat rock." While I stood there breathing in the fragrance of fresh rain, lightening and thunder clashed again. I noticed that the thunder here in the mountains is different than the thunder in the flatlands. There after a loud clap, thunder wanders away into the distance. Here the thunder just reverberates off the mountains, rumbling on and on. While I pondered I couldn't decide if I should be concerned about the 100 ft tree 10 ft from my house being struck by lightening. Eventually, I dismissed the tree and just enjoyed the rain. There was no wind, which was lucky for me since I don't care for it (especially next to the tree) and because I would probably be very wet. Inside, Mike the cat, was staring forlornly at me through the door. I just love my back porch. I've spent many very relaxing, peaceful moments out there and amidst the thunderous pounding storm, I still found it once again.
Now it is storming again and the house is reverberating with the rolling thunder, encouraging me to slack up on work and curl up with a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment