Nameless

Nameless
Who are these silent strangers waiting for me to know who they are?

Friday, January 13, 2012

This and That

I was wondering, can a person get writer's block when writing their own journal? There should always be something going on inside my head, right? It's true that most of what goes on in a typical day is not noteworthy. BUT if the brain stops taking note of the unusual within the mundane then how do I jump start it again? Of course, then there are the times when there is so much going on in my head that I can't seem to distill it down into anything that makes sense.

I began working on this post yesterday. As I was typing I was interrupted by a phone call from Jack. He wanted to stop by and show my husband the beautiful reproduction 18th century gun that he had built. By the time he left, I was totally distracted and waiting for a phone call from a friend. Without really being conscious of it I continued this thought pattern throughout the day. I began thinking about thinking. So, what is a thought anyway? A thought is in no way original. It is just the data retrieved and filled in from memory of a sound, an image, a taste, etc. To be original, you have to have an idea. Ideas are those epiphany's that are based, not on a memory or thought but on your brain interpreting something totally new. Did you ever try to observe your thoughts - as if from outside yourself - and trace them back through the string of memories to the origin? To come up with an original idea, you could try asking yourself a question that forces your brain to look at old thoughts in a new way. Better yet, if someone else asked you a question about something that was outside your everyday thought pattern, you might come up with a totally original idea. So - food for thought - or ideas:

Without humanizing them, if cats could really talk what to you suppose they would say, or want to say to us, humans or to other cats?

If human thought and intent shaped our reality, what kind of a world would you think into being? How would you convince others to think the same way so that collectively you create reality your way rather than, say the way media wants us to think?

I guess - I need to stop and think some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment